Benefits of running
Why would anyone go running? We have a few ideas:
- Everyone can start running: No matter how fit you are running is very accessible. You may need to start with walking but soon enough you will be able to introduce a few minutes of jogging and build up speed gradually from there.
- It helps you shape up… or justify that extra slice of chocolate cake. Running is a great way to burn calories and lose weight. In half an hour you could burn 300 calories running a 10 minute mile.
- It will make you fitter: Running is a cardiovascular exercise and a great way to increase your fitness because it raises your heart rate- giving your heart muscle an effective workout and improving your circulation. You will notice the effect of increased aerobic fitness in every day tasks such as walking up stairs, dancing on a Saturday night or keeping up with the kids. It will also reduce your risk of heart attacks, angina, high blood pressure and stroke.
- It makes you happy: Running can be good for your mental health as well as your physical wellbeing. Runners sometimes talk about the “runner’s high” – new feelings of energy and positivity after taking up running. Exercise is also known to improve sleep and relieve stress.
If there are any down sides to running treadmills are well equipped to combat them…
Benefits of treadmills
- Safety: As the winter nights draw in it becomes less safe to go out running in the evenings and we don’t all have time to go during the day. A treadmill in your own home takes away the fear of running on your own or the hassle of having to nag friends to join you.
- Bad weather: The British weather is never dependable. When you are training hard it can sometimes be nice to go out in a light drizzle to cool you down. But coming back a drowned rat a few minutes later can really reduce the effectiveness of your work out… especially if followed up by a cold. Treadmills allow you to go running, come rain or shine.
- The impact on your joints: Our treadmill, the JTX Sprint-5 has an eight point shock system to offer the ultimate low impact training and minimize the impact of pounding pavements.
If you already have a treadmill check out our treadmill programme suggestions to make your workouts as effective as possible.