We know many of you are currently in training for a marathon this year, and using a JTX treadmill to get yourself in tip top condition for the big day. Whether you are running for charity, to get fit or just for the buzz of it, it takes a lot of motivation to keep up with the regular training needed (unless of course you are Forest Gump…run Forest, run).
We don’t have a magic wand to get you fit and ready for the 26 miles, and we can’t lie to you, it will be hard work, but we do have some good advice which will improve your chances of reaching the finish line in one piece.
- Create a marathon training schedule
- Ensure you have the right kit – shoes, socks, running top, shorts etc.
- Increase your efforts week-on-week
- Vary your distances over each week
- Eat sensibly
- Mimic the course
And for the day itself, our top tips are
- Eat your usual breakfast and have a snack around an hour before the start
- Write your name on your vest to make sure you get plenty of support
- Drink little and often
- Pace yourself, you don’t want to burn yourself out
- Don’t count the miles
- Have small targets and praise yourself
- Conserve your energy, you will need plenty of it throughout the run
- Coat your feet in nappy rash cream or a lubricant like petroleum jelly to avoid the dreaded blisters
- And finally….enjoy it! You’ve been training for months so enjoy the atmosphere